The american singer R. Kelly, accused of sexual abuse on four individuals, including three minor girls, between 1998 and 2010, pleaded not guilty Monday before a court in Chicago of the 10 charges against him. The star of R&B’s 52-year-old wore an orange jumpsuit of a prisoner during his appearance and stood next to his lawyer, Steve Greenberg, who has pleaded not guilty to his place. The next hearing was scheduled for march 22.
” READ ALSO – Indicted for sexual abuse, including on minors, R. Kelly is handed over to the authorities
The singer, who has been detained since Friday, has already spent three nights in detention. On Monday, Chicago police announced that it had paid its security deposit. “It will be out within the hour”, said to AFP the spokesman of the sheriff of Cook county, which encompasses Chicago, Sophia Ansari. The lawyer of the artist has confirmed that the procedure for the release of his client was committed. He was released on bail Monday.
earlier, R. Kelly said he was unable to pay the amount set at $ 100,000. A judge in Chicago was set at $ 1 million the amount of the deposit. But in reality, according to the american system, 10% of the amount was to be deposited, is $ 100,000. “It is no longer really money because the record label Sony has released the last month.”, had indicated to the lawyer of the interpreter of I Believe I Can Fly.
convicted of four assaults
An arrest warrant had been filed against the american singer for ten heads of charges: sexual abuse on four individuals, including three minors. The facts allegedly occurred between 1998 and 2010. Many voices were raised denouncing reports of sexually abusive and non-consensual. The wave of accusations comes after the airing of the documentary series in six parts Surviving R. Kelly , in the beginning of January. The series multiplies the testimony on “sexual abuse, mental and physical” perpetrated by the singer. In addition to these charges, he is liable to be made a true harem in which he allegedly kept captive many young women.
” READ ALSO – R. Kelly would have been touched a member of his family up to 14 years
R. Kelly has had up to now maintained its popularity, despite decades of accusations of sexual abuse and paedophilia. Recently, the lawyer for the two victims, Michael Avenatti announced that it had submitted to the police a new video showing the american artist to have a sexual relationship with a minor. A duration of 40 minutes, this record would have been filmed at the end of the 1990s.
The new charges against the singer could see him sentenced to up to seventy years in prison. There is a risk between three and seven years of imprisonment for each charge, knowing that ten people have been held against him.