It is necessary to save the memory of the magician Georges Méliés (1861-1938). The heirs of the conjurer to become a filmmaker, just launched a subscription in order to restore the grave of their famous ancestor in the cemetery of Père-Lachaise.
In effect since 1954, the year that the sculpture by Renato Carvillani immortalizing the torso of the director of the avant-garde science-fiction film The Trip to the Moon has been installed, the burial has never been restored. In more than half a century, little by little, the gray-green of the bust has invaded the tomb, the stone has deteriorated and posts in cast iron have exploded. As to the chains that used to surround the monument they were stolen a long time ago.
” READ ALSO – 80 years ago disappeared Georges Méliès first wizard of cinema
Georges Méliès was a man of many talents: comedian, storyteller, puppet master and one of the pioneers of the 7th item He made cinema an art of illusion. In his own studio he turned his Le Voyage dans la Lune , inspired by a novel of H. G. Wells, who is regarded today as one of the masterpieces of the cinema.
36.000 € of restoration work
Such a cult that one makes to an immortal artist, the tomb of Georges Méliès is still constantly visited in spite of its poor condition. Flowers, drawings, letters, and even pieces of movies and movie tickets, are deposited daily on the grave of the most wizard of the filmmakers.
in Order to restore its luster on the tomb of Méliès, 36.000€ will be necessary. The family will need to follow a specific protocol: how to work with art restorers approved, follow up with the curator of the cemetery, passing the dossier to the commission the Architect and the Building of France. It is necessary for the magic of the 7th art, so well represented by Georges Méliès, can continue in the Twenty-first century.
● The Georges Méliès project : the site of crowfunding to finance the restoration of the tomb of Georges Méliès in Paris
● The a Trip to the Moon is a science fiction film written and directed by Georges Méliès. It was presented to the public in 1902.